Emergency Procedures and Drills
To EXIT from
DORMITORIES: Use the stairways and exits nearest your room. If one stairway or exit is blocked, everyone should use another.
CHAPEL: Girls use the right front exit and left rear exit (left when coming out). Boys use the left front exit and right rear exit.
CLASSROOMS: In case of an alarm, students are to walk with their teacher to the girls’ tennis court and stay with their teacher.
GENERAL RULES FOR FIRE DRILLS
- Leave doors unlocked when leaving your dorm rooms for a fire drill.
- When you retire at night, have a bathrobe, blanket, and a pair of hard-soled shoes at hand.
- Walk briskly but do not run.
- During the school day, meet on the girl’s tennis court with no talking. At night, the girls will meet behind the Elementary; the boys will meet in the grassy area in front of the dorm, fifty feet away from the building. Wait for an all-clear signal before re-entering any building.
- If the alarm is at night, leave the room light on.
Fire alarms are very serious situations. Anyone pulling the fire alarm as a prank will be severely punished.
GENERAL RULES FOR TORNADO DRILLS
- If the tornado occurs during the day, office personnel will make an announcement over the public address system.
- Teachers are to escort their students to the designated emergency shelter areas.
- If the tornado occurs at night, the emergency services coordinator is responsible for notifying each dormitory supervisor.
- The dorm supervisor will then escort the students to the designated emergency shelter area in their building.
GENERAL RULES FOR EARTHQUAKE DRILLS
- Students are to remain in the classroom or dormitory while the earthquake is ongoing.
- Students are to move away from windows and find shelter under large pieces of furniture.
- Once the earthquake has ended, students are to exit the buildings and gather on the girls’ tennis court or the field in front of the boys’ dorm.
GENERAL RULES FOR LOCKDOWN PROCEDURES
- When teachers hear the lockdown code, they are to immediately lock the door to their classroom and move students away from doors or windows.
- No student is to be allowed to leave the classroom while the lockdown is in effect.
- Once the dorm supervisors are notified of the lockdown, they are to gather all students into the dormitory supervisor’s apartment and lock all doors.
- The Headmaster or Principal is to determine when the lockdown is no longer needed. At this point, he will notify the office who will broadcast a notice to end the lockdown.
VIOLENT THREATS OR WEAPONS ON CAMPUS
- Students are not allowed to bring weapons or bombs to school.
- Students who suspect another student has a weapon or bomb are to report their suspicions to the nearest school personnel.
- Students are to report any violent threat to the nearest school personnel.
All school buildings used by this local education agency have been inspected and a management plan developed for any asbestos containing material found during the inspection. The management plan is available for inspection during normal business hours by representatives of the EPA and the state, as well as the public, including teachers, other school personnel and their representatives, and parents. A reasonable charge will be made for copies.
NATURAL GAS DETECTION
Students who detect the odor of natural gas on campus should report it immediately to their dorm monitor or a member of the maintenance staff.