Absences must be excused by the school Principal. Make-up work is permitted for excused absences within a two-school-day period (extensions on make-up work may be approved under extenuating circumstances like serious illness). Unexcused absences may result in the following punishment:
- A zero for class work due that day (including work done during the class period missed).
- Additional discipline from the Discipline Committee.
- If a student leaves for break early or return from break late the following amounts will be added to your bill: $100 per day absent; $25 for any rescheduled exam.
The following reasons are acceptable as excused absences:
- Illness of the pupil.
- Illness in the home that creates an extreme hardship.
- Death in the family.
- Appointment with a doctor or dentist when the office is notified in advance.
- Severe weather. School will not be dismissed for bad weather (snow, ice, etc.). However, there will be days when the bus will run on a delayed schedule or not run at all. This will be announced over WMTC (99.9 FM), WJSN (97.3 FM), TV channels 57 in Hazard and 18 and 36 in Lexington. Parents are to use their own discretion in bringing students to school or to the bus pick-up points. If parents bring their students to school, they are responsible for transportation after school unless otherwise notified. Schoolwork missed must be made up.
- Special situation that is pre-approved by the Principal. If you know that you are going to miss school for a family vacation, or for some other type of activity, you should make arrangements with your teachers ahead of time for completing any missed work. This arrangement should be asked for at least one week in advance. In order to avoid any grade reductions or fines, you and your parents must meet with each teacher and the Principal to enact an academic plan to meet class requirements in a reasonable amount of time. Failure to have your absence approved in advance by the Principal and to enact an academic plan will result in the absence being considered unexcused with the appropriate penalties.
After an absence, students are to see the Principal or office secretary for an excused absence slip.
If the absence has not been pre-approved by the Principal, the student must present a signed note from the parent, guardian or school nurse in order to receive an excused absence slip. This slip must be presented to the teacher of each missed class for his/her signature in order for the student to receive an excused absence in that class. It is the student’s responsibility to request make-up assignments. Students will have a grace period of three days after returning to school to have absences excused. Any absences that have not been accounted for after the grace period has expired will be counted as unexcused with the appropriate penalties.
If a student has an unexcused absence from a class on the day a test is given, he/she will have to pay $5.00 fee to retake the test.
Any student who misses more than 10 days per semester, excused or unexcused, will not receive credit for classes taken that semester. A student may request a hearing before a faculty committee to present unusual circumstances.
NOTE: Snow days do not count against perfect attendance, but they do count in the 10 days/semester or 20 days/year. All absences after 10/semester must be made up by the student.